Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Life With A Somebody Else's Cancer

My mother was first diagnosed in 2008. Since then, she has developed multiple tumors in her lungs, brain, and spine. Sometimes, I suspect I'm not being told all the gory details. But then again, I ask myself, how much do I really want to know those gory details?

However, the point is this: you get so used to "Emergency phone calls." You get so used to dire outlooks and grim prognoses, that part of you begins to wonder. It's like the "cry wolf syndrome." You begin to think that it will get better -- because, after all, it always does. Only, quality life suffers. I can tell you, without a doubt, my mother is not the same vibrant woman she was in 2005.

Then, the rug gets pulled out.

My mother is currently in the hospital with bleeding in within her brain.

If you subscribe to a religion, pray for her.

If you are agnostic or an atheist, keep her in your thoughts.

EDIT TO ADD: It's a hemorrhaging tumor, and a relatively new one. She's stabilized, but still in ICU. Nobody knows the long term outlook yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment